View Single Post
Old 10-06-2022, 11:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I hate to be regarded as a malcontent or contrarian and have enjoyed baseball since a very early age. However I find the continuing conversation on the site regarding who should or shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, the ranking various subsets of dead baseball players, and the speculation about how many home runs Judge would hit in 1923 or how many Ruth would hit in 2023 a bit jejune (look it up). Everyone who participates in such threads disagrees with everyone else and very few disagreements are settled. It's like trying to get 100% on a final exam where there isn't a correct answer. On Net54 everyone isn't even graded on a curve (not a curveball by the way).

Granted, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the relevance of everyone's opinion is sadly lacking. We rely on analytics that didn't exist 100 years ago. Let's face it, Ducky Medwick and Wahoo Crawford didn't have a WAR. They are rightly classified as prewar, but not preWAR. Statistics are wonderful and I love them, but I never forget the basic truth, Figures lie and liars figure.

So what's my point. The countless rating and ranking threads of old dead ballplayers could be replaced by the title of this thread. Maybe we should just speculate on the hammer price of a gem mint 2500 year old rookie Hoplite card.
Your observations are well received. I can't imagine anymore new Judge or whomever 2022 anything threads on the front page, at the current time. But it's some exciting baseball that can harken back to Ruth, Cobb, Matty etc...
To your point about countless ranking threads, I say poppycock!

We can always use more T206 threads!

Last edited by Leon; 10-06-2022 at 11:34 AM.