View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Default Open letter to STAT and Christopher Morales

Posted By: <b>micahg</b><p>Richard:<br />From a December 27, 2006 article in The Anderson Valley Post:<br /><br />Back in 2001, Da Babe traveled to Hawaii for Krause’s annual trade conference where “Operation Bullpen” was a main topic.<br /><br />Tim Fitzsimmons, the FBI agent in charge of the operation, and Phil Halpern, the assistant U.S. attorney who prosecuted the cases, were featured speakers. They also sat down with me for interviews.<br /><br />Reading Nelson’s book reminded me of just how widespread the forgeries were and possibly still are. We’re talking thousands and thousands of consumers defrauded to the tune of millions and millions of dollars.<br /><br />In the end, 63 people were arrested and prosecuted. Those 63 folks operated 15 rings—with a forger at the center of each of those enterprises.<br /><br />Investigators parlayed an undercover operative’s work, a wire tap and a key player agreeing to cooperate with them to bring down the forgery rings.<br /><br />After breezing through Nelson’s book, I touched base with Fitzsimmons and Halpern to see if the book was accurate and how they felt about the whole process.<br /><br />FITSIMMONS SAID HE WORKED WITH NELSON AS THE BOOK WAS DEVELOPED AND IS SATISFIED WITH ITS ACCURACY. Halpern said he has yet to read the book.<br /><br />As for “Operation Bullpen” and its results, both said they were glad that the cases focused attention on the major problem of forgery.<br /><br />“I am extremely pleased we were able to highlight to the public the dangers of buying memorabilia,” Halpern said.<br /><br />