View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 06:47 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
'smatter, Detroit, can't take a little good natured ribbing?

As for "All the fat white guys live in the East. People in California play outside", well, I've been to card shows all over the place and I've run a few in Cali, and no matter where you hold a show you will get a bunch of fat white guys. It's a fat white guy magnet, like free pizza. Now I'm not saying most collectors are fat white guys but if you need to find a bunch of fat white guys, maybe as extras for a Destination XL clothing commercial, you pretty much would meet your quota at a card show anywhere in the country. And I am not just CEO of fat white guys at card shows, I am also a member...
It's like if you have a brother that just can't get his shit together, ever. It's ok for you to make fun of him, but if someone outside the family does it, you take it way more personally. So don't pick on Detroit...unless you live here.

And, there have been many big shows in Detroit. I remember meeting Al Rosen when I was about 12 at a show here that had dealers from around the country – I paid $5 for a 1969 Mickey Mantle card. Here's the ad from a show in July, 1978.

Detroit_Free_Press_Sun__Jun_25__1978_.jpg