View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 08:59 AM
Rich Klein

A few random thoughts:

The store that survives on supplies may very well be doing just that. Back in the day the promoter (no longer with us) who used to promote the Nassau Coliseum show said he paid his rent with the profit from supplies. I know for me, it's easier to go to a LCS and have pre-made 3200 ct or monster boxes than for me to do them. The extra money is worth it for my aggravation. Plus getting sleeves and semi-rigids gives me a reason to visit the four stores within a half hour of my domicile.

Nick's Sportscards near me got in a large collection of Goudey's in a few months ago. They sent them to BGS for grading (frankly because they could drop off and pick up in person) and this was an original collection. I think maybe 10 percent of that collection was still there 3 weeks later. Sometimes you just have to be lucky as a vintage collector to visit a store when cards come in.

When we discuss vintage on hobby hotline (I do try to bring some vintage discussion in when I'm on the show) one aspect which gets pointed out is the lack of film about vintage players. Back in the day when we got our news via daily papers and television that mix allowed us to read about the older players. In today's world it's far more important to have visuals than printed word.

With the profits out there on modern boxes/cases/singles what do you do? You got to sell what more of the people want. As Leon has said (and I apologize if I get his quote wrong): We're about 1 percent of the card collecting community albeit a very important part thereof. I received the REA Catalog last night and even there with all the great vintage in it, there is a lot more modern stuff than ever before.

More thoughts later

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 11-24-2020 at 08:59 AM.