View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 06:30 PM

I've posted before on my tag sale/estate sale obsession. I live on Long Island and go out just about every weekend, plus many weekdays, bouncing from sale to sale. This area's an amazing place for estate sales. Lots of rich homes, lots of old homes, and close proximity to New York City, so you can find really cool stuff in these old houses.
Yesterday, I bought a Franklin D. Roosevelt signed letter from when he was governor of New York. It wasn't cheap, but I couldn't pass it up. Really neat to hold something like that in your hands.

Last week, I really scored. I know nothing about wine, but took a chance on a bottle I found in a wine closet in the basement at an estate sale. It was dated 1959, so I thought it might be worth a shot. The woman running the sale wanted 20 bucks. I walked around and debated, but eventually bought the bottle. Turns out it was a 1959 Chateau Lafite Rothschild, which is considered one of the best wines ever produced. (I had no idea; blind luck.) Anyway, bottles typically sell for 2 to 3 grand. I've already found an online site that said they'd take it on consignment. Kinda cool. Not a bad return on a $20 investment.