View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Rob

Default Funny you should mention this...

Since it was such a beautiful day here in Bklyn,NY...we decided to have a spur-of-the-moment garage sale outside our garage (where else?)...got up early,put lots of stuff out there.
Things were going pretty well and selling here and there....but,even with all the young hispters in my 'hood heading aimlessly to and fro (looking for places to spend their parents' money,no doubt)...NOONE expressed ANY interest in my 80s baseball sets,which I was practically GIVING away. Not a drop of interest.
Now,I've been living in this neighborhood for 20 years (Greenpoint) that lately is comprised of basically 50% Polish and 50% middle-America hipster transplants (don't get me started on gentrification!),so I didnt expect much interest...but c'mon...I can't tell you how many 20 to 30-something lanky haired,neck-bearded,pipe-armed guys,surely SOME of whom MUST have been at one time interested in baseball growing up, just rolled on by.
My wife even went so far as to go down the block and purchase some organic coffee (I heard the hipsters LOVE this!) for folks to drink while they peruse. Noone even took a cup...FREE!
I was just now taking an online break and read this ironic thread! I ,too,had my 85 Topps down there with its PSA8 McGwire and mint Clemens...whole set for $35 and not a bite. 81 Topps for $7.50, 81 Donruss for $10. I think since theyr'e all mint and you can "pick em up and go"...not such a bad deal.
But I guess no young guys are interested in baseball anymore. Maybe I should trudge a few of my vintage cards down there and see what happens!
On that note..have a good Memorial Day everyone....give thanks to our troops past and present!

Last edited by robedits; 05-30-2010 at 12:46 PM.