View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Default Ty Cobb/Bushing/SCDA/Game-Used Decal Bat

Posted By: scgaynor

UptownPhil, exactly what is your position at American Memorabilia?

Let me respond to a few of your quotes.

"They were viciously attacked over their old judge proofs a while ago. But to all of you experts, they went overboard to prove their items were good."

They never proved this at all. They could not even come up with a single name of a knowlegeable person who could authenticate them. In contrast, several people stepped up on this board and voiced their opinion, backed by years of experience dealing in vintage photography.

"Now, some of you self proclaimed experts, the folks that put bidded on those proofs at least put their money where their mouth's are, you guys are still bitching? Why?"

I am not sure if I understand this statment, but I assume you mean that people bid on them so they must be real. If that is the case, That statement is either stupid, or just plain naive.

"About Dave Bushing, if he was so bad, would every auction house under the sun have him authenticate their bats and gloves? He's human too, if he makes a mistake and is proven wrong, then the Auction House should stand by what they sell and take back the item with a full refund. I think an honest house will do that."

I agree, but other than a poorly worded title on the LOA, I don't think that the fault is with Bushing on this one. There is nothing else mentioned in the LOA that would lead anybody to believe that Ty Cobb actually used this bat. Even the A5 grade means that the bat has major problems. It is American Memorabilia that is making the claim that Ty Cobb used this bat and is spinning the information in the LOA to that end. Bushing even admitted in the Newsday article that there is no proof that Ty Cobb was ever within 500 miles of the bat.

"About Decal Bats; Why is this particular bat making such a fuss, we all know Louisville Slugger made them, we've seen them in auctions, describing use. One of you say they were never used, That is not so, there are documented photos of Cobb at the plate with a decal bat. How do you explain this, the photo does not lie, so there is your proof."

Just because a players name is on a bat, does not mean that he used it. In little league I had a Don Mattingly model bat, but I never thought for a second that he actually used it. I know of a photo of Cobb holding a Decal bat, but it is not game action. The photo appears to be a promotional photo of some sort, possibly for use in an equipment catalog. Has anybody ever seen a photo of Cobb in a game using a Decal bat? Anybody? Bueller?

"In fact, Lelands Auctions, in their June 4 & 5, 1998, Golden Age Auction, had a Ty Cobb Decal Bat, that they too described as "some light use throughout." the key word is "USE."

Not used by Cobb, probably by some kid out playing with his father.

"So, if you are going to be experts, which I am not, at least do the research and back your claims with proof. See I did."

Almost everything that you said was wrong, so you may want to go back and do more research.

"Here's the challange, can you or anyone proove it wasn't in his hands..."

That statement is so ridiculous that it leaves me pretty much speechless, so I will end here.

Scott