View Single Post
Old 12-31-2004, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Default Another DiMaggio "Streak" Bat? More PBOR Horror Stories

Posted By: Joe P.

PASJD,
This is off topic, and I apologize to all, but you asked for it.

A few centuries ago, I use to play for the Broadway Show softball league. they also had a bowling league during one nite of the week.
After the last curtain of the nite, everyone would meet at this alley and let it all hang out.

We were all on teams that represented shows on Broadway so it was a blast and the ever present competition was always there.
One night I found myself playing against Robert Preston and his team, (can't remember the name of show) It was his turn, and he was in the mental preparations before his shot.
As I watched him, and I tried to time my comment so that it would be just before he had reached his mental comfort zone - and I said:

"Digby, if you make that Strike, I will give you a Vikings funeral."

If you have never seen the 1939 movie classic "Beau Geste," you wont know what I'm talking about, ... but he did, he was Digby.
He stopped in the middle of his first stride, turned around, looked at me with the winning smile that he was famous for, and we both broke out laughing.
This was in the early sixties somewhere, and he couldn't believe that anyone would dig back to 1939 to try to affect a game in the early '60's.

He didn't get the strike.

A real great guy, and one hell of an actor.