View Single Post
Old 08-02-2021, 11:04 AM
J@mes In.gram

Default A Case For Riggs Stephenson

After reading through our recent threads concerning who should be in the HOF, I coincidentally was looking through some of my old scrapbooks that I have bought over the past few years. In going through my 1932 World Series scrapbook, which is really a preview of the series looking at who's who on each team, I came across a clipping I had to look at closely. The way the papers previewed the series, it really didn't look like the Cubs were going to be swept away. And I came across this clipping of Riggs Stephenson, and his batting averages up to 1932. Astounding! I know he had a weak throwing arm from the outfield, as a result of a football injury while playing for the University of Alabama, but was it such a liability that it kept him out of the HOF? What else could it be? I also know for sure that he was a household name right up there with all the other stars of that era. I have 11 scrapbooks put together by fans during the 1930s, from the east coast to middle of the country all the way to the west coast. Riggs Stephenson has clippings in every one of them! It just seems to me that there is no way he's not in, right alongside Gil Hodges.

Every thread needs a card. I really like this 1933 DeLong Riggs Stephenson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1932 Stephenson Clipping.jpg (84.9 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg 34 stephenson front.jpg (78.4 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg 34 stephenson back.jpg (80.6 KB, 209 views)