View Single Post
Old 11-28-2021, 08:30 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Okay I did a couple this morning. Disclaimer: these still may look a bit cheesy but remember, I'm more interested in quantity displayed, and frames take up too much room on the wall. This is about the best I can do.

First pic is my initial attempt to use thick but soft vinyl. I ordered a roll from a marine warehouse. There was no binding on either edge so it had to be taped all the way around, the tape didn't stick well, and the lack of rigidity left a lot of glare from the "waves" on the surface.

So I tried the toploaders which works much better. First I bought a pack of photo-sized loaders for making holders for the minis. That worked extremely well. Then I bought 7 or 8 of the largest size for the oversized pennants. I can make two holders out of these. I tried using an Exacto knife but even with a long straight edge had trouble keeping it straight. I marked off the corners for custom fit and drew lines with a dry erase marker and carefully used scissors, cutting though both sides simultaneously. Each holder has a sealed ridge on the bottom, which is where I want it because of gravity. Before taping I put a few staples along the top end because I don't want the pennant to ever come in contact with the tape - this is just precaution. Then I use clear packing tape to seal the top edge. This is where some imperfections are apparent, I can never quite keep the tape from wrinkling in spots. But unless you are up very close you really cant see it. Maybe there's a better tape to use, I'd like to know.

Now I taped them shut with the pennant inside, so its a snug fit. I don't think this will make for easy removal like with ordinary holders without removing and replacing the staples and tape.

I still have some "edge" left over to use on my minis, for these I use a paper cutter and scotch tape, I just about have the gaps in the wall filled in with them. Please shoot me if I think about filling in the tiny spaces with BF3s ... I think I need to stop!

So these poster toploaders were $130 for 6 including shipping, so its about $11 for each holder. When I buy a pack of the photo toploaders for the minis it comes out to about $1 apiece.

Last edited by thetahat; 11-28-2021 at 08:55 AM.