View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckettfan View Post
Dormand Mick
Hey Kris! Thanks for sharing your beautiful Dormand Postcard of Mickey. I have always loved Dormands, ever since I sent away for a starter group from Wholesale Cards Co. out of New York / New Jersey in about 1969. Bruce Yeko included this version of Mickey Mantle with the group. Personally, I have always favored this pose. Think of it this way, bro. At the time Louis Dormand first issued this postcard, 1953-54, and for many, many years afterwards, collectors did not have much of anything to preserve their condition.

They would do whatever came to mind:

1. Pin it, tack it, nail it to their bedroom wall.

2. Tape it to their bedroom wall.

3. Tape it, or glue it, into a scrapbook, or perhaps use those black art corners to CAREFULLY mount it in their scrapbook.

4. Since Dormands were over-sized, as compared to mainstream bubble gum cards, you could not store them easily with your gum cards. So, if you had several Dormands, you wrapped them in rubber bands. In so doing, you gave them several "good" notches on their sides, thus giving their condition a notch or two below mint. In addition to the notching from a tight rubber band, a wrapped bunch of Dormands would be jammed in the back of a shoe box, or on top. With all the handling and jostling, corners would get bumped all the time, as a pinball machine in play, "ding, ding, ding..." Instead of adding points to your total, the dings in essence were deducting points from its future PSA grade!

5. You might simply place the card on your dresser, as a boys' version of a Monet painting. Let's hope it didn't get handled too much when it was shown to friends who wanted to admire it more closely. The card might catch on something when it was picked up, or put down. Catch on?

6. IF they were displayed on a wall, a problem might begin to attack it, without even physically touching it. Daylight. Specifically, the ultraviolet rays of the sun would start to work on it, depending upon the vicinity of where it was placed, in relation to the sun's rays. If it got a "good" dose of sun on a daily basis, after a few months, the rich colors would begin to fade. Call it cardboard color ker-blammo. Permanent damage. Permanent regret.

The perils of the over-sized card. These are among the facets of distinction I bring out in my E-book on a CD, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. If you think I'm just trying to get you to buy my book, I already found this never works; after a year's time with just 28 sales, I concluded most collectors are either too much of a lardhead to appreciate a good hobby book when they see it, or too much of a cursed cheapskate.

Let's just say I am trying to get you to appreciate the fact your elegant Mickey Mantle postcard is in pretty nice shape, all things considered.

Congratulations, Kris. Be happy!

Take care. ----Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 06-11-2017 at 06:05 PM.