View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
92,000 Griffeys have been graded by PSA as we speak. 22,000 Jordans. I haven't checked Jerome Walton yet.
I guess we just have a different memory. After the release of 1989 UD High Series, I can't remember a time where the UD Griffey was the card to have. In 1990 it was Leaf and Frank Thomas, David Justice, and Steve Avery. In 1991 it was Stadium Club. In 1992 it was inserts led by the Frank Thomas Rookie Sensations. In 1993 it was Finest Refractors, especially Ripken and Ryan. In 1994 it was the Red Holoview Die Cuts, especially the A Rod and then the baseball strike happened and the hobby died. Most that kept collecting switched to basketball and that is why Jordan is king of modern followed by Kobe and LeBron.

More Griffeys have been graded because Upper Deck ran the presses in 1989, pumping out as many cards as they could. The Topps Traded, Donruss and Fleer Griffey RCs are also among the most graded cards of all time. It was a matter of production numbers. By the way the 1990 Fleer base Michael Jordan is on the list too. Is that more iconic than his Fleer RC?