View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
No, I am not your financial adviser, but let me give you a little financial advice anyway. When somebody has something for sale that you are wanting to buy and they tell you their asking price rather than saying, "make me an offer," then there is no need to offer any additional money.

If you would have seen this card in a dealer's showcase at a show with $1000 price tag, would you ask him, "Will you take $1300 for it? " No. That's stupid. There was no need to offer any additional amount of money of you were indeed the first buyer.

You're starting to contradict yourself, so you should really be careful. In your first post you said...

But above you said...

So which is it? Did you make him the offer at the point you asked him if it were still for sale, or did you make him the offer after a few days of discussions?

It is only my opinion (and if I am wrong I will apologize), but I think the card was already sold to another buyer and you offered $300 more than the asking price to (in your own words) “ensure your chances of getting the card.” If that is the case, that is pretty deplorable in itself. If that is not the case, then you will receive an apology.

I'll reserve any more posts until I hear from the other party.

Here is the exact timeline for the emails.

3/31---I send email requesting scans...no response.
4/2 ----I send 2nd request for scans
4/2---I get 1st response...tells me he is busy, card is still available and will talk to me later
4/2---I tell seller i'll pay $1300 for the card
4/3---Seller tells me he has much interest in the card and will forward scans to me
4/3---I tell seller my offer of $1300 is good till Monday as there is another card im thinking of buying
4/3---Seller tells me the card is mine at $1300.

Now you can turn this anyway you want, but these are the facts. By my count, thats 4 days worth of "negotiations". My initial request was simply for scans. I made my offer on day 3 of the negotiations, and to the best of my knowlege, the card was not yet "sold". Had it been sold, I seriously doubt that we would have gone through the rest of this "dance". You can be upset with me because my pockets may be a bit deeper than yours, I cant control that. Im willing to overpay for cards that I really want, and theres nothing unethical about that. But I can understand why you may be pissed about that, especially if you would like to buy a card at the lowest price possible. I dont concern myself too much on price, that extra $300 means very little to me....thats basically a sour 20 minute run at the blackjack table.