View Single Post
Old 11-17-2022, 09:55 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
The oddity here is that so too do many people who appear to be cognizant it's also a facade. Many, members here and not, complaining about the grading scandals, subjectivity and corruption, keep buying graded and furthering that very scheme they are cognizant of.
Technically I could be considered a part of this group. The conundrum for me I suppose, is that I believe a majority of the scandals and schemes occur at the fringe high end of the spectrum where I basically am not involved. I collect mid-grade and lower postwar vintage, PSA 2 - 6 range mostly, and the vast majority of that (well) under $1,000 per card. I would guess in that range that 85-90% of slabbed PSA and SGC cards are reasonably if not properly graded, and sell for reasonable prices.

I do love a properly graded card in an attractive slab, but I also love a raw card that just has a quality that some of it's entombed relatives no longer have. It's the suspect trimmed PSA 9's of HOF'ers that seem to ruin it for everyone, and when I read stories like that or see what the Blowout folks have outed - it usually makes me consider busting every last slab I own. I don't of course - and therein lies the dilemma.

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-17-2022 at 01:06 PM.