View Single Post
Old 06-26-2022, 10:28 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

What's even worse are reports that some guys won't sign their RCs or specific issues any more. This used to be a rare thing; now it is increasingly commonplace. I suspect they are trying to create a perception of rarity over certain cards that they can sign and give to family members as investments.
I think one of the reasons players have stopped signing RCs is the liability of handling the higher graded examples. Say I bust out a PSA 10 Mariano RC, send it to him to sign, and then when I get it back signed send it back to PSA for a dual grade. But the card comes back a 9 or even worse an 8. The promoters don't want to deal with that scenario/liability.

I know, craziness. We've come to this bc of the TPAs grading scale where the difference between an 8 and a 10 can't be seen with the human eye or more often than not is determined by chance - which day was it graded, by which grader, etc. And 'collectors' are lining up paying the crazy prices based on this foolishness.

BTW, I love the Dr. J photo. I used to go watch VA Squires games with my dad and have a few programs, team photos, etc from those days. Good times.

Those photos were taken in the Hampton Coliseum where my daughter just had her HS graduation earlier this month. Opened in 1969 and still standing 53 years later.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 06-26-2022 at 10:31 PM.