View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 05:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
If you want to maximize value I'd suggest submitting them to PSA/DNA when the run a $10 special (maybe it's $15 now).

For whatever reason, people will pay 5x more for these autographs when they are encased in PSA/DNA plastic.

Some of them may not pass, though. I think at least two of the Koufax may be ghost signed, and Goslin, Combs, Faber, and Ruffing all had their wives signing for them after illnesses and strokes. Others on this board will know if these are good or not. The Goslin looks exactly like one I had denied by PSA.

PS. Make sure you get a "good" Combs.

thats not true, you are just wasting your money sending them in to psa or jsa, there are plenty of collectors looking for those signatures who know a good signature when they see one, they dont need psa. why start off in the hole? you can get the same price unauthenticated as you can authenticated.

if i needed a greenberg sig, i would know its real by looking at it and my bid price would be the same authenticated or not. if you want to spend hard earned money sending it in to psa to get the same bid from me, then what a waste. one of the biggest myths in the hobby is the myth that you must send it in to psa or jsa to get the highest price. its untrue. psa and jsa want you to believe that, that is why they started and continue to perpetuate that rumor.

I sold an unauthenticated Rocky Marciano cut autograph for 400, that is what they sell for. authenticated ones sold for 400. only someone had paid 75 plus shipping to authenticate it, so at best they only realized 325 for theirs, I got the full 400 for mine unauthenticated.

i helped sell a few alejandro lavorante boxing autographs, some of the rarest around, and a high retail might be 1500 dollars, a real stretch, the seller wouldnt sell at that price, wanted a lot more, and they sold for 2250-2550 apiece, with NO psa or jsa. if they would have had psa or jsa, they would NOT have sold for more, (probably less), ha! Not that psa or jsa know what one would actually look like anyway?

So don't fall for that old saw that you need psa or jsa. And I practice what I preach and sell them without psa or jsa, and will do again on ebay soon. I am not worried I will get less for them. I will probably get more.

The other rumor and big lie is that the forgers are constantly trolling these boards looking for tips to help out their forgeries, so people shouldnt talk about specifics of any autographs, because the forgers are watching the boards. That's ridiculous too. so remember these two myths and just sell them unauthenticated and don't worry about spending upfront money on something that would be a waste.

Last edited by travrosty; 01-27-2013 at 05:20 AM.