View Single Post
Old 06-05-2002, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Default 33 Goudey reprints

Posted By: runscott

To someone who sells Goudeys, these are obvious fakes because the colors are off on the front, aged back doesn't match the front, and black instead of green ink on the back. But James sells almost exclusively pre-WWI cards and I don't think he knew they were fake, for the following reasons:

1. If you are not familiar with the '33 set, they DO look like real cards, although the brown back/white front should likely have still given it away.
2. James knows that if he posted fake cards and he knew they were fake, lots of board members would also know they're fake (as has happened) and would attack because of the "Wagner incident".
3. James values the board and likes to post, so obviously doesn't want #2 to occur.
4. Finally, James sells a lot of cards, I have bought many from him, and not one has been altered in any way. Other than the Wagner thing, I don't know of any other incident involving fakes.
5. I have seen James list several items that he could have sold higher if he had marketed/grouped differently - listing Ruth and Gehrig together might not be brilliant, but it doesn't make him a criminal.

What hasn't happened, and unfortunately will have to before people lay off, is James will have to admit that he doesn't know the '33 Goudey set.