View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 07:26 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grob View Post

For me, part of market analysis also includes the comparative assessment of related items and artifacts. I don't collect cards, and have not since I was a kid, but I have always felt that certain items are way undervalued when compared to cards. For me, these banners fall into that category. A 1948 Leaf Jackie Robinson (PSA 8) is now a six figure card. By the PSA Pop Report, there are 48 of these in an 8 or better. If you add like graded cards from SGC to the mix, this adds another 25 to the mix. So here we have over 70 examples of an retail collectable with no real contextual connection to the player (Jackie Robinson), other than it is a commercially produced product that features his likeness.

I am not saying the 1947 Dodgers Banner will ever command the money that high grade 1948 Robinson Rookie Leaf will, but then again, I think it should objectively be valued at more than 3-4% of the value of the card.

Of course there is some bias here as I am not a card guy, but I think if the banner and Stein photo were displayed next to the Robinson rookie card, the banner and photo would garner far more interest and attention.

Dave Grob
Couldn't agree more! We non-card, memorabilia guys GET IT