View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 09:40 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Put me down as strongly disappointed in the new label. I've been a proponent of SGC from the early years (over a decade) and have been fine with all the small changes over time but feel this is a mistake. Consistent and fair grading aside, the slab appearance is what really sets SGC apart with the green border label and black insert/gasket being key. I'm fine with the changes if the green border returns, large enough at top to pull "SGC" into the border in white. I don't see why this couldn't be accomplished without compromising all other new desired features.

The old SGC slab was classy and I was compelled to grade my cards with SGC. My collection has a nice and consistent look to it. I guess that is about to change. I don't believe I will submit with the new label. I'm fine with raw cards, why spend the money if you don't like the appearance? My hope is that SGC listens to their customers and reconsiders this decision. I may change my mind with time, then again, maybe not.

I'm not as passionate about coins, but have actually collected them longer than I have cards. I have collected only NGC graded coins and when their holder changed several years back I stopped submitting. The plastic insert that holds the coin being the issue, not the label. I won't buy a newer NGC graded coin. The last couple coins I need will be purchased when an example surfaces in the older holder. Anyone have an 1887 3 cent or quarter in older NGC holder? I have the coins raw, but would like to complete the type set in old NGC holders. Example of new holder attached for comparison, I didn't like it when it was introduced and time hasn't changed my mind.

Why change when your customer base is a bunch of old curmudgeoned fanatics? A change for the worse isn't welcome (over generalization but you get the point).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1887 Type Set Front 75dpi.jpg (73.5 KB, 510 views)
File Type: jpg 1887 3cent - new NGC holder.jpg (25.7 KB, 509 views)
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers