View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 11:18 AM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Hey Andrew,
That's precisely my point. It is 'generally accepted' to be a spouse signature while other people say Willie signed it himself. I still never see any sort of evidence that points to Mrs. Mays signing for him, not even a single statement such as, "Willie said in a 1978 interview that his wife signs all autograph requests received through the mail." Nothing. Nada.

Yet the same people state over and over again **as fact** that it's the case. It seems to have the same level of validity that any urban legend has.
For what its worth on the TTM Mays I don;t know if his wife signed em, His neighbor or the mail man, but he didn't. Mays requests in the 1980's usually came back really fast , so we mailed requests knowing he was on the road , and bingo they came right back. So maybe he took a red eye flight home to sign his mail because he loved his fans so much or maybe someone else was signing for him.

We did the same with O.J. Simpson who always SWORE in interviews he signed all his fan mail and well....he didn't, Unless he could be in two places at at the same time very quickly........mmmm, maybe !!!
Also Sonny Liston's wife who for a FACT signed TTM for him insisted her entire life that she never signed for him.