View Single Post
Old 09-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Default Exciting New Discovery Of One Of The Earliest Known Cards

Posted By: runscott

<<A) BBBE Had it's grand opening in 1866 (card released to publicise opening?).>>
If this were the case, then why doesn't it say anything about the grand opening on the ad back?

<<B) The C&I Print was issued in 1866. Why would they publicise the print 4 years later?>>
We're still publicizing that print today. But I doubt this card was created to publicize the print - if that were the case, there would be something on the back concerning it (probably). I think it was simply a card produced to advertise the store, using a popular baseball print on the front.

<<C) The print consists of an actual championship game played in 1865 between the Atlantics of Brooklyn and the Mutuals of New York. This game was big news at the time (a current affair). People would not have any interest in the game 4 years later so once again why use it to publicise your product?>>
We still consider that print a classic today, 138 years later. It's a great classic baseball painting, which is why it remains popular - I bet 4 years after it's creation it was still extremely popular. Actually, it would probably have been popular on cards created in the 1880's or even later.

<<D) It has all characteristics of a mid 1860's card in style.>>
True

<<I know that this is not an exact science and I will never be able to prove it but do you not agree that it is more likely to be 1866 than 1870 given circumstantial evidence?>>
I don't see any evidence, circumstantial or otherwise, to indicate one date over the others.