View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 09:21 AM

DJ,

I have always been a baseball set builder and really enjoy the hunt and the feeling achieved as the set gets closer to completion.

When building my 1952Topps set, I always went for commons first as quantity was more important to me for two reasons. My dollar seemed to go further and the set seemed to fill up the pages faster making my binder thicker. I would enjoy some days just flipping through the binder pages looking at all of the '52s that I acquired. I could not have done that if I just had a few HOF's.

I do want to say that you must contemplate what you will do with the set when finished. Will you keep it in your collection for many years or will you sell it soon after you built it and really enjoyed looking at it. The reason I say this is that condition comes into play.

Since I knew that my budget would probably never see a Mantle above a PSA2, I therefore would acquire all cards just a little a above that grade. It seemed a waste of money to collect NM 52's and then have a PSA2 Mantle because I knew that when I sold it, that Mantle was the card the buyer was going to look at and base his buy price on.

By the way, it took me forever to find Norm Cash (the last card needed to complete.

Always A Setbuilder,

Craig M.