View Single Post
Old 11-25-2002, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Default Anyone aware of method of manufacture of orig T206s, Obaks, and E cards?

Posted By: David

Hello,

The answer is, keep looking. They have to be out there somewhere.

The T206, T205, etc images are relatively easy to find, as they were used and reused countless times on on other cards, newspaper pictures, etc etc. On the other hand, the Goudey images were not reused and are much harder to find.

It was said by Scott B. that George Burke made many or most of the Goudey images. I beleive this, because nearly all of his photographs have the same Goudey pose. Burke's original photos are plentiful compared to contemporaries like Charles Conlon, so it would seem that the Goudey poses could be found.

A number of the original paintings exist that were used to make the Diamond Stars cards and the closely related National Chicle football cards. Presumably these paintings were based on photographs. These artworks make up nearly all of the original paintings or similar artworks used to make Pre-WWII cards (I can think of two other original artworks known to exist). Rob Lifson, at MastroNet, owned most to all of them. I've never met Rob in person, but talked to him on the phone specifically about these and related paintings. He was very nice and I was appreceative of his knowledge and help.