View Single Post
Old 03-14-2024, 07:10 PM
Dylan

[QUOTE=Pat R;2419828][QUOTE=jacksoncoupage;2419814]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post

No, the layout would be the same for a Bold 40th logo A* sheet.

The A*B* cards are all printed with bold 40th logo.

What I am trying to understand is if/why Topps would produce an A* sheet that is 50% A* and 50% A*B* cards. It seems to reason that the A*B* variation would affect all 132 cards on the sheet.

What this means is:
  1. We need to see a photo of an A*B* uncut sheet
  2. We need to confirm if the "other" 66 players can be found in the A*B* version

Admittedly I have no idea how Topps printed the sheets but some of the variations do give us some indication of how they might have been printed.

I don't know why they would have only printed the A*B* code on half the sheet but I do think that's what they did. I know they are scarce but I think it's beyond coincidence that all of the cards on the top half of the sheet minus the managers are confirmed with an A*B* sheet code and none of the cards on the bottom half have been confirmed with an A*B* code plus you have the same thing with the reversed backs on the C-D sheet that only affected the bottom of those two sheets.

As far as the layouts I think it stayed the same for most if not all of the printing of the sheets for the base cards.

After I found the Bob Melvin RPD I also found a Donnie Hill with the same RPD. They are both found with bold and non bold logos and are in the same location on their sheets with Hill on the 5th card up on the right edge of the A sheet and Melvin in the same location on the B sheet.

Attachment 614364
Attachment 614365
I agree that layouts didn't change.

It seems like you are onto something with A*B* cards. Its just so bizarre to me that only 1/2 the sheet would get it but I understand why you think so, it sure is looking that way. I wish I had kept better track of the A*B* cards as they turned up, I had just assumed this entire time that all A* cards got the A*B* treatment at some point in the production run.

This means that I'll have to take another look at my bold logo cards since whenever I opened product and got them, I'd look at the first A* player and if it didnt have the A*B*, I wouldn't flip the rest over.

And thats another interesting find on the Hill, I'll update the list. Now I'm wondering if it affected all six sheets (Reardon, Osuna and Bergman don't seem to have this variation...).

Lots of great work Pat, I think a those of us who dig this strange set really appreciate this!

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr

Last edited by jacksoncoupage; 03-14-2024 at 07:20 PM.