View Single Post
Old 01-27-2022, 03:54 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintboy View Post
What kind of headache does this cause the breakers like Greg Morris and the likes?
By "breakers", I take it you mean set breakers like Greg Morris on ebay as opposed to box and case breakers? I doubt it would have much of an effect on them. Instead of shipping to address A, they're now just shipping to address B instead.

It may have an effect on the broader market prices though in general, as this will undoubtedly turn both buyers and sellers off on eBay. People will be seeking out alternative selling platforms. There's a lot of opportunity for new players to come along in this market right now. I'm excited for what lies ahead. I'm envisioning entirely new platforms and resources for buying, selling, storing, grading, trading, organizing, tracking, etc. Will be interesting to see it all unfold. I'm also interested in how market prices will be affected as more and more transactions migrate away from eBay. Right now, eBay is pretty much THE comp tool which effectively dictates current market prices (with some exceptions for high end vintage or super low pop cards). But price suppression could result if eBay ever starts losing significant volume to other platforms. Especially if there are a plethora of other platforms to choose from, each of which has their own niche following (and therefore fewer eyes on each listing on average). Fewer eyes = lower selling prices. So even if the same number of cards are sold per year in this hobby, the average selling price will go down in proportion to the number of different selling platforms there are that gain significant traction in the market.

Last edited by Snowman; 01-27-2022 at 04:00 PM.