View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 08:27 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
Well, there's really not much doubt in my mind that it's Ruth. Over the years, I've found the primary reasons some people disagree with this is:
  • They don't like his homerun, power hitting style of play. Furthermore, all the photos they see of him is when he's old and out of shape and they discount him because "no way some old fat guy can be the greatest player ever."
  • Because he is always assumed to be the best player ever by the majority of credible baseball analysts and historians today, people pick someone else to be a contrarian and/or unique. Rather than just mindlessly following the pack, they bring up some other player who had a great career. Issue is, these careers simply don't compare to Ruth's.
  • They make some excuse for some older player about them not playing in the live ball era.

As far as the best pitcher ever, I personally go with Cy Young. People seem to discount him for some reason, but when you look at his numbers, they're just incredible. I'm sure Walter Johnson was a great pitcher, but in a direct comparison, Cy Young has got to be the pick.
Ughhh, not worth arguing again...

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 04-19-2013 at 08:28 AM.