View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 01:04 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Tom Bradley didn't become a Giant until 1973, so he has to be a 1973 issue. The photo for the Tom Bradley Giants pin was no doubt taken during 1973 spring training. I can't find it now (I wish I had taken a scan) but on my original search through WorthPoint looking for these black box pins I saw a pic of the Tom Bradley pin with the White Sox which in turn means that White Sox pin must be a 1972 issue. ETA, if the Giants pins were made in 1972 I would think there would be a Willie Mays. Even though he was traded in May of 1972, I can’t imagine that if they had a bunch of Mays Giants pins in production that they would then destroy all of them only because he was traded. Edited again: Uh oh, my own theory blew up in my face. Tom Bradley was traded FOR Ken Henderson in November 1972, so the Henderson Giants pin can only be a 1972 issue.
The Ron Santo White Sox pin had to be made in 1974 as he was still with the Cubs in 1973. There has to be others that were made as late as 74 but unless they changed teams it impossible to tell
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown