View Single Post
Old 12-19-2021, 08:54 AM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Surprise, I may have the least desirable rarest card. My R308 Type 2 (large size) self-developing Tattoo Orbit of Pepper Martin is, as far as I know, one of a kind. The only other player I have ever seen for Type 2 is Jimmy Foxx.

Brian (the other two Tattoo Orbit Martins shown for size comparison)
Brian,
I may be able to joust ya;
on the, "least desirable"; lol.

'Wickey' McAvoy, an 18 yr-old catcher from Rochester, NY; after his team had a series with the Baltimores; is signed by Connie Mack's A's, as a back-up catcher. Subsequently is sent to Baltimore for seasoning. While there, McAvoy catches a young pitcher named Ruth; undoubtedly is reporting analysis of this young pitcher back to Philly. When Mack begins negotiations with Dunn of Baltimore, Mr. Mack feels $10K is a bit steep for his liking; prolly thinking negotiations will follow. The rest is history as Boston came a calling. My guess is that after the passing of Powers and ATC pulling his card from the 350 run; someone from the A's office acquired this card from the printer (nameplate removed, no shadow); inserted it into the ol' typewriter
(anyone remember those? lol) and gave Wickey his own 'card'; this was a big deal to some back then, having your own baseball card. I am still digging on this backstory but wanted to share what I have.

Ben
(Lover of all baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards!)

Last edited by benge610; 12-19-2021 at 09:01 AM. Reason: added back pic