View Single Post
Old 11-09-2022, 05:59 PM
Javan

Default Help with a Circa 1928 World Series Autographed Baseball

Hoping some knowledgeable members here can help shed some light on a recent purchase. I took a bit of a leap purchasing this ball a few days ago from eBay. It was listed as a 1926 Game Used World Series baseball with multiple autographs from the two teams (Yankees and Cardinals). Interestingly, the ball includes Boxing legend and HOFer Jim Corbett. I did a little research on some of the players and based on their time with the Cardinals came to the conclusion it’s actually a 1928 ball (the Yanks and Cards had a rematch in ‘28). The PSA/DNA letter seen below lists all the HOFers as well as Corbett. Apparently PSA concluded that Gehrig was a clubhouse signature.

OK, I’m getting to the good part. The seller also included a list of other names on the ball. Some of them I cannot connect with either team. One name I was stumped on was listed as J.J. McGinnis (who basically holds the sweet spot on the ball) which turned up nothing on baseball reference. Then it hits me, it’s actually J.J. Iron Man McGinnity, a very tough autograph. Now obviously I can’t say the autograph is legit or not, although the provenance of the ball is solid. My question is WHY DID PSA MAKE NO MENTION OF THIS IN THEIR LOA? I could understand if they saw the name and deemed it not authentic, but wouldn’t it at least be mentioned, much like the clubhouse Gehrig? Did PSA actually miss this great name on the ball when it was reviewed back in 2008? While most of the signatures are rather faint, this is by far the most obvious and prominent one. Next question is would this be worth sending to PSA looking for a decision regarding the McGinnity autograph? Are they likely to admit a mistake if there was one? How tough is a McGinnity autograph? Apparently he lived out his days in the NY area and died in 1929, could easily have been in attendance at the ‘28 World Series. Would love to hear thoughts from those knowledgeable on this kind of thing! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by piecesofthegame; 11-09-2022 at 06:46 PM.