Thread: Latest Pickups
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2022, 07:31 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Congrats on another Tolstoi!

My understanding from my readings is that the issue is that some jurisdictions, like New York and Philadelphia, had repressive rules on boxing that essentially banned 'real' fights. Thus, every fight was a No Decision in these places because they were 'exhibitions' and there was no winner allowed to be formally named. 4, 6, 10 and 12 rounds seems to be the common round counts used for these bouts, though a lot of the newspapers seem to make clear that the boxers fought just as hard as in 'fully authorized' fights and they were not like the actual exhibitions put on by retired boxers to demonstrate technique. Boxrec and others try to use Newspaper decisions to catalog wins and losses, but this is a modern project.

If I am incorrect, someone please clarify and correct what I have said. I'm sure others know more fully.

Yeah, pretty spot on.

One of the funniest things I ever saw were those signed T218’s that surfaced a few years ago with inscriptions of fight records that could only have been culled from Boxrec and never existed before internet data entry existed.