View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Rick P

Default Cleveland 2009

From 1986 to 2001, I was an exhibitor at 11 Nationals. I returned to the National for the first time last week just as a fan and really enjoyed the experience. Here's my two cents from the perspective of "fresh eyes".

(1) I didn't see pogs, beanie babies pavillions, TV celebrity autograph guests, X-treme sports stunts or rabid buying of promo cards by lobby squatters. True, there was a ferris wheel...but nobody's perfect. Congratulations to all of us for beating those cancers into remission.

(2) I entered at 10 am Friday and finished seeing every table a half hour before closing time, even taking time to chat and grab a bite for lunch. That would never have been possible with the 1,000-plus tables of the boom years. Congratulations to the organizers for seeing that bigger isn't always better.

(3) With few exceptions, I felt that almost every exhibitor was genuinely interested in what they were selling. I'm sure there were mercenaries there, but nowhere near as many as in days gone by. Countless times I saw them sharing their knowledge and their wants with customers and with other dealers. The brotherhood of collectors seems to be strong; the Net54 dinner was terrific.

(4) We definitely have an aging collector base, but if addressing that takes us back to pogs and beanie babies...let us die off with our dignity and resist a relapse.

(5) The organizers did a fantastic job of mixing up the dealers. There was great variety from table to table; I never glazed over at repetitive themes in any aisles. And there weren't many tables of artificial "collectibles."

(6) There were extraordinary treasures as in the old days (and not just at the auction house booths). A novice would absolutely feel like they had visited Cooperstown. Whether they sold or not, I'm grateful to all who brought their best stuff to the show. And the focus of the show was the stuff, not the fluff.

In summary, it felt like a true National Sports Collectors Convention should feel. Sure, the hobby has issues as readers of these boards are well aware...but this collector's spirit was refreshed!