View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Default What Grading Companies are the Best?

Posted By: T206Collector

First, of all, SGC is much more consistent, accurate and reliable in their grading. Putting that aside, there is a difference in what PSA and SGC will consider to be a 60/EX/5. I agree that SGC is more lenient with respect to fuzzy corners on a 60 than PSA is on a 5. Since I happen to agree that an EX card can have fuzzy corners, as long as it doesn't have any creasing, I like what SGC 60's look like. But some collectors prefer sharper corners. I have found this to be particularly true with Goudey collectors, who think SGC 60's are too permissive on the issue of corner rounding.

In my T206 experience, the problem with PSA's standard is that the PSA 5's often exhibit some other characteristic that I find unacceptable in an EX card -- indeed, with sharper corners, and no other problems, they would have graded it a 6. In my experience, PSA 5's have often come with small wrinkles or chipping of the paint on the front, albeit with sharper corners. SGC will not grade a 60 with such defects. I'd rather have fuzzy corners on my 60/EX/5's, than these kinds of condition issues which separates PSA 5's from PSA 6's. And, frankly, when I see an EX 5 with sharp corners, I just know something else is wrong with that card. When I see an SGC 60 with fuzzy corners, I know that there are no other meaningful defects.

By the way, BVG has been fine, in my experience, though, like GAI, they are not as strict with really minor chipping/paper loss as SGC is.