Thread: Latest Pickups
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 11:27 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

2 more for my Red Sun "set". Cards 8 and 9 since I decided to try to do this one like 8 months ago. Progress will slow considerably from a one a month pace, I'm sure. I frankly doubt I am willing to pay what a Johnson would go for at public sale, so I am unlikely to ever complete it, but I hope to get all the commons and guys-who-were-stars-then-and-nobody-cares-about-much-now.

These were, I think, blatantly overgraded in their holders. I think the Kaufman is probably a 2, not even a 3. Can't capture in scans, but in addition to the heavy edge and corner wear there is an indentation along the left side where it looks like both cards were once squished by an object, recessing the card stock on that side. I started cracking because I don't care about grading company opinions and the slabs take a lot more space to store, but I've come to learn cracking a card is important if I care what shape it's actually in: those slabs hide a LOT of damage. The Kaufman also is considerably short, though I don't think trimmed, it probably should have been a MINSZ reject if not a 2.

Even if one blows their nose with million dollar bills, I don't see how one can build this set and be too condition sensitive. I'm very happy to have 2 more. Sometimes I wonder if anyone ever took a different photograph of Al Kaufman...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0614.jpg (79.6 KB, 221 views)