View Single Post
Old 10-10-2022, 05:04 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misunderestimated View Post
Judge had a GREAT season ... He's a feel-good story even if he is a Yankee and he's so big he literally dwarfs the competition.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/22513177400...p2047675.l2557

If you insist on voiding suspected PED seasons Judge set a single-season HR record (assuming Judge is "clean" -- which I think he is). I don't subscribe to that myself -- the leader is much-maligned Barry Lamar Bonds. Like it or not.

The American League record thing seems overblown, outdated, and almost quaint. Ever since inter-league play began league records became much less meaningful to me. ...It's like figuring out who holds the NBA single-season western conference record for something. (BTW I think Chamberlain wins either way for scoring
The NL vs AL distinction has dissolved further with the universal adoption of the DH.

The NL single-season record for HR used to be Hack Wilson (56 in 1930) .... I'm not even sure who holds it now if you exclude the PED suspected? Ryan Howard, Luis Gonzalez, or still Wilson ?
I agree that the focus on Judge setting the AL and Yankees team record for home runs seemed a little odd. I'm a big Phillies fan, and I don't remember much being mentioned of him setting the NL home run record in 2006 or Stanton breaking it in 2017.

With Judge, I think it was clearly a way to give him credit for some kind of record without having the discussion of whether or not all of the PED tainted numbers are the true home run record.