View Single Post
Old 08-13-2023, 09:58 PM
Jeff Lazarus

To the best of my knowledge, no lineup cards exist from the Negro Leagues. I don't know if they did not use lineup cards the way the American & National Leagues did, or if they simply were not saved. Whatever the case is, I have been collecting lineup cards for many years and have never seen even a photo of one.

Because of this, I have pretty much given up hope of ever getting a lineup card from player's who played in the Negro Leagues, outside of those who spent time in the Majors. (I have lineup cards with Aaron, Mays, Campanella, Robinson, Newcombe, Banks etc, but assumed that most others were off limits).

Over the years though, I have occasionally been able to find lineup cards from the Pacific Coast League (PCL) and in a number of cases they featured former Negro League Players. Some (like Minnie Minoso) later played in the Majors, but others did not.

Recently I was able to acquire this September 8, 1951 lineup card from the Minneapolis Millers. While the card does not feature Willie Mays, who played for the team, but was already with the NY Giants, it does include Negro League HOF Ray Dandridge, who had 3 hits in the game, and former Negro League Champion NY Cuban Dave Barnhill.