View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 12:40 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports-rings View Post
So, if someone like myself knows this is a "B" version ring, and the auction house is alerted to it, shouldn't they do the right thing (like other auction houses do) and update their listing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sports-rings View Post
Hunt's egregious mislabeling is worse than I thought.

I just learned that there is a "B" version of this ring, given to upper-level staff, who were not players.

This new insight happened as a ring was put on ebay this week that is truly a "B" version.

So the Hunt ring is now a "C" version ring. I feel sorry for the person who buys the ring and later on discovers that the ring is 2 steps down from a player's version.
Can you also see though how applying labeling that you are not 100% sure is accurate can be problematic? Hunt went back and changed the description to read "front office" ring, but that wasn't enough for you. You "repeatedly continued to request" that, among other things, it be labeled as a "B" version of the ring. Only now you find out it's not actually a "B" version, so even if they had made the changes you asked for, would you be beating down the door again demanding that they further revise the description?

Sometimes there is such a thing as providing "too much information" if the added information in itself has the potential to be misleading. To me, it appears that David added only the information he could be 100% sure of ("front office" ring rather than player's ring), and leaves the rest of the research to the buyer. Sure, it would be nice if every auction house that lists a ring would lock down every bit of information about it and perfectly label and categorize it, but in a case like this where even the expert is continuing to find out new information about the item, can you really blame them for "playing it safe" with the item description?

Just my take on the overall situation, with me having near-zero knowledge of rings. I have though had plenty of experience with bidders irate over mistakes or minor discrepancies in descriptions (more minor than this), and can say with some confidence that being "right" is necessarily only part of how you approach situations like this. Both sides have to be willing to step back and evaluate the new or corrected information for what it is, and I find that "repeated requests," especially if they just repeat the same information, are more annoying than helpful and do nothing to promote an unbiased consideration of the facts at hand. If I remember correctly, didn't this same kind of badgering followed by public complaining get you banned from bidding with another major auction house? I'm not trying to take sides here, but you might take a step back and seriously consider your approach to these kinds of situations.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 01-15-2013 at 12:42 PM.