View Single Post
Old 07-22-2022, 10:00 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Suicide by gun rank is all countries regardless how tiny they are. And I misspoke as I looked at a ranking from 2016. We are currently #1.

Country Firearm-related death rate per 100K population per year Homicide rate per year Suicide rate per year Total death number per year
United States 12.21 4.46 7.32 40,175
Why are you using suicide by gun vs actual suicide numbers? That again is vastly misleading.

Under what reasoning is that number a better debate point than a general suicide count for the country? The method is unimportant unless you are purposely using selective data points. It is duplicitous to set a data point using an entirely assumed reason that suicide would decline if they are requested to change method, that is a public health issue.

This is a sensitive issue for me as a mental health volunteer who has lost many amazing people to mental illness and value them and continue to be angered by the disregard of our government to address an issue that is not proving a debate point by disregarding human lives with this type of statistic as politicians tend to take advantage of tragedies.

This goes entirely back to my statement and much as to why people get defensive.

I am also with you on waiting periods even if they help in a small case (I say that only in example, I do not know if they will help...but waiting a couple days in a depression circle can't hurt as it gives time to seek help. Sadly those requests are often overlooked, but that is for another discussion.)

Again, I am not attacking. This was a selected statistic located in which your answer was obvious based on ownership numbers, but leaves the most important fact off the table. It falls in the same bucket as changing the number deciding a mass murder, the weapon type percentages stay the same.

I again am trying to stay out for today, and I again state that I think we likely have more similarities than differences...this one stat used hit a little close to home for me and my experience and this is my response.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.