View Single Post
Old 07-21-2022, 05:22 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Well suicide seems obvious, not to be rude. If given the option and I am not in a correct state, I would prefer a painless path. That is no great statement however likely. I don't see too much relevance in gun suicide numbers as those are a mental health issue and would people be more pleased if they just died in a different more acceptable method? If gun ownership was related to suicide rates the United States would very logically be number one by a landslide, we are not even close as 2020 WHO information had us at 31st.

Accidental shooting you must remember is not likely a civilian shooting someone else. It is police collateral damage, a bit of Darwinian damage to oneself and poor judgement while cleaning or the hundreds of holster shootings into the groin or leg from Glocks that have caused many departments to change service pistols. (Glocks do not have a manual safety, they have a stage trigger. Having a gun in the same pocket as a keychain that could tangle into the trigger path is a bad recipe for the unskilled).
US rate is 2nd in suicides amongst nations with 100M or more people. Russia is 1st.

US rate of gun deaths is 30th overall. Rate of suicide by gun is 2nd.

The rates do not include failed attempts. Or prevented attempts.

Mental health screening, flagging, and treatment should be part of the deal