View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 11:26 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My purge was a financial disaster. Big lots via AHs are not the way to go if you want to maximize the results. If you do go full retail just understand that you are in for a world of work and it will take a long time. I sell regularly on eBay and it is a major time-suck. Fortunately, I don't seem to have much else to do lately...

As for taxes and the like, you need to decide w/the help of your accountant/tax planner, what you are going to do: sell as capital investments and elect capital gains treatment at the special collectibles rate of 28%, form a schedule c business and sell, form an S-corp to sell, etc. There are considerations to...consider. If you do go the business route, just remember to conduct business in a business-like manner: register for a resale permit, remit sales tax collected, etc.

One thing I'd say is get really, really realistic about what your stuff is really worth. You may have a 'retail' value of $10,000 assuming you sell it lot by lot carefully curated over a year. That same load may not be worth more than $5,000 at auction because of lotting considerations, and might not go for more than $3,000 wholesale. Just depends. If you are sitting on a T226 Jeannette, you can sell that at auction and expect top dollar. But common UK sets in lesser grades, I start most of those at $1-$5 a card, sometimes less. I sold a mixed grade 1938 Churchman's set for $21.50 last week.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-27-2020 at 11:28 AM.