View Single Post
Old 09-30-2021, 02:43 PM
Dave Carson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbymarine View Post
7) Prices are high. I built lists of the cards that I was looking for in various grades, as well as my top buy price for each grade. When I do this, I compare recent sales, and I do take into account any differences in sales tax and shipping costs. Like the general market shows, I believe there should be a premium on cards with strong eye appeal and good centering. I saw exactly 1 card that was priced at my price level (and I bought it!). Everything was 20-50% high. There was a specific raw 52 Topps HOF that I was looking for in VG-EX range. Several BIN on eBay around $100 from reputable, high-quality feedback sellers. There were plenty of examples at the show, and the only card listed below $200 was an absolute beater with a missing corner (sticker $115). I know there is always room for negotiation, and I made offers on dozens cards. There were cards were the ask was double, so I didn't bother insulting the seller. I was always polite and sellers were as well, so no hard feelings. But don't go expecting bargains.

All in all, an amazing experience. I talked to many people that drove 3+ hours to be there and said it was worth it. If you're free, take the time to go.
Thanks for the report. Enjoyed reading it. Your comments above are in line with what I found at the National. I came back with just one of the 10 or so $70-$120 cards I was looking for because they were mostly priced at $200 or more. I found other stuff to buy. There's always something I need - just maybe not what my objective was.