View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 09:10 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
David and Mike, thanks for your thoughts. In different ways you brought up important points. Most of my buying will be online, either through the B/S/T or ebay. That makes me gravitate toward slabbed cards. There are a few dealers I have bought postwar stuff from that I would probably trust but not that many. I am a collector first and foremost, and I don't buy to sell but you never know. I have to think a PSA holder makes the potential sale a little simpler. It is vital to buy the card, not the holder. One can get a lot of eye appeal in lower grades. In a perfect world, I like them in their natural state, but...
Robert, I do not know how old you are or what the value of your collection might be. I too am a collector, first and foremost. At some point you start adding up the $20 cards, the $40 cards etc. and the number shocks you because it is likely more than you expect. My wife is a willing enabler with my collection and will offer opinions. She enjoys these bits of cardboard more than I ever expected. However, I have no heirs to even consider leaving the collection to. Anything I do from here on out (I am 56 so I hope it is for decades yet) will be with an eye towards that day when I change the direction of the flow of cardboard from inbound to out. The wife would be cussing me if I go first anyway so I don't want to add fuel to the fire by saddling her with a pile of raw tobacco cards to sift through.....

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 08-06-2015 at 09:11 PM.