View Single Post
Old 06-15-2023, 10:29 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps206 View Post
That would drive me me nuts. I’ve seen no such photos or never have been known for such a cover version to exist. I just Googled the Freehan cover and didn’t see it. It must be worth something. I wonder what McLain would think if someone got him to sign.

The Gibson cover is the only McLain cover I’m missing from my signed collection.
I doubt McClain would even care. McClain was at a show and I was getting all four of his covers signed. Given that the player has to the right to reject any item, I questioned whether he would sign one of the covers. I placed the covers with Kaline and Gibson on top with "Baseball's Big Scandal" on the bottom. When he got to the scandal magazine, I said "Sorry, I collect SI Covers", without missing a beat McClain said "No problem, they will write anything to sell magazines." No lie. I went home and read up on McClain's woes. Interesting story. I think McClain would sign his mugshot without blinking an eye.

If the variation is out there, (I hate to use the word) but it would be a rare one.

Last edited by Huck; 06-15-2023 at 10:31 AM.