View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 06:30 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Default Are my expectations too high? Creased vintage cards

I've recently gotten heavy/big into vintage. I enjoy buying in person, but I also enjoy buying/trading for them online. It really helps offset the cost of putting a set together. But I'm curious if I might be have my expectations too high. Here's why.

Over the past 2 weeks, I've bought what I thought were some nice cards on eBay and also made a couple of trades. Both were for set needs for 1957 Topps, and both the cards involved in the trade and the cards I bought were listed as Ex.

But when I got them, they had creases. I got a lot of around a dozen in today from a trade over on Beckett. Around 10 of them were marked Ex, while the others were marked VG-Ex. But half 6-7 of them were creased. Some had multiple creases.

Also, I bought a nice Ex 1957 Topps Dodgers Sluggers card in that was listed as Ex by one of the big box sellers on eBay. Got it in, and it too had a crease. So here's my question.

Can cards still be in Ex condition with creases? I typically list out that I'm looking for VG-Ex to Ex with no creases, bends, indentations or wrinkles. Do I need to change that? Do I need to upgrade to NM or something? I've got most of my 1958s in NM shape, maybe Ex-Mt.

Typically anything I get that has creases or bends goes straight into the trash. I have no use for them, and I'm not sure anyone else can use them or even wants them.

I opened a return on the Dodgers cards, and the buyer accepted. So hopefully that one gets resolved. Also, the trader on the trade deal has offered to take the cards back.

But I"m just curious as to if my expectations are too high.