View Single Post
Old 11-30-2021, 04:56 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
No, I didn't go. And I regret it.

I believe it was the last 'Induction Weekend' that also included the 'HOF Game'. This one was between the Rangers and the Royals.

The great thing about THAT game was Gregg Zaun 'called his shot' - at the behest of a wonderfully loud left-field crowd. Zaun, normally a catcher, was playing left-field and received a HUGE ovation when he returned to his position after the shot. It was incredible to see!

At the time, the 50K crowd-size, was the biggest ever for an Induction- I believe it was surpassed with the Ripken / Gwynn crowd, but there sure were lots of port-a-potties there...and Ben-n-Jerry's trucks too!!

The ceremonies had to be moved to nearby soccer fields.

crowd at 1999 induction ceremony.jpg

That was the first and only return for me to the area where I had been born 44 years prior.

We were going to also take the time to visit Syracuse, where we lived back then, and Rome, where I was actually born...but...there was this thing called Woodstock '99 and we were all glad we didn't venter out that way.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hof-panorama-1999.jpg (82.8 KB, 306 views)

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 11-30-2021 at 05:11 PM.