View Single Post
Old 11-29-2021, 11:31 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Ken and I entered the world on the same day 58 years ago. He had more money, more talent, and unfortunately more demons. I was in Peoria for Spring training in 1996. I was watching the Mariners play his Padres. He had a brutal game. He made three errors in 4 innings. There was an obnoxious drunk seated in front of me who was loudly booing and mocking Caminiti who was noticeably perturbed. As he left the field in the bottom of the 4th he was scanning the stands. A couple innings later he was walking through the stands wearing sunglasses and a Hawaiian shirt. He was headed in our direction. Ken was a VERY large man. He found the heckler and sat down next to him for an inning. He spoke very quietly so I have no idea what he said. Whatever it was it had the desired effect as the drunk was rather subdued for the rest of the game. Caminiti stood in front of our section signing autographs for the next 30 minutes. Ken made some bad life choices as we all do and he paid the ultimate price. I have been fortunate to outlive my own mistakes.

Mike- Thanks for sharing that story. Very well written. Caminiti played for my local minor league Columbus (GA) Astros but I never met the man. There's a biography of him available...after reading your story, I may purchase it.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente