View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 02:06 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It's frustrating but cyclical. I've collected through every recession since Reagan, every bubble since the early 1980s. That said, there are certain cards that are not likely to go back to the prices of a year ago, like the 1952 Topps superstars. On those I am just waiting for a reasonable dip before I go after them.

A bright fellow (well, Leon anyway) once told me not to sweat a few hundred bucks on a card I really wanted, and he was right. In the long run, good cards tend to appreciate. Several years ago I sold off some of my 'never sell' cards because I got a ridiculous offer--at the time. Today, they are worth even more that what I received, but so are the cards I purchased with the proceeds, so I am good with it. If you want a $2500 1952 Robinson, keep hunting and you will find one you can tolerate; they aren't rare. That's how I got my T206 Cobb red portrait: waited and waited and waited and eventually found a fair condition card that presented better and was for sale a a fair price. Today it would be a steal at that price. Good cards tend to appreciate.

On the bright side, many of the cards I already have are through the roof. My wife said "sell" and I said "Why TF would I do that with highly appreciated and appreciating assets that I cannot replace?"

Maybe try to make some trades? That might be a fun way to get some new goodies. "Trade you Jackie Robinson for Ted Williams"; yeah I am just a big ten-year-old...

Oh, and my cheap 1952 Jackie Robinson that I hunted for:

So FUGLY it is beautiful...and worth 10X what it cost me.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-29-2020 at 02:18 PM.