View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 06:24 PM
Bob Andrews

I'm working on an abbreviated run of Topps sets from 1958 thru 1962. I've finished the first three, passively working on the '61 and am chasing the '62. I'm at about 65% of the '62 with most of the stars completed. I will collect the 'alt pose and similar variations' but I'm not going to do more with the green tints than slide a few into the back of the binder as representatives.

These five sets were the cornerstone of my youth. 1958 Topps cards are the first I ever held in my hand. I was seven years old. They belonged to a girl who lived down the street from me. 1959 was the first set I owned cards of. I got packs in my basket at Easter that year. 1960 was the first set I tried to finish. I bugged my folks for the cello packs at Korvettes and Bambergers in the Jersey suburbs. 1961 was the first set I actually did finish, or at least I think I finished it. And the '62 has the most memories for me as far as trading, flipping and hoarding. It was the year I really learned about players since my father decided to get tickets for every Sunday date at Yankee Stadium.

For all these sets I aim for 'presentable' cards, VG/Ex or so. I've bought some slabbed examples of key cards but they have been broken out and live in the binder pages.

I'm also working on the Topps 1970/71 basketball set and am at 151 of the 175 cards. I some SPs and a few of the second-tier stars.

Last edited by commishbob; 04-05-2018 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling :-(