View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Default What made this National great for you ?

Posted By: Joann

Putting names with faces for Net54'ers. A lot of really, really nice people. And not one single 300-volley argument!

Seeing more vintage cards than I could ever see in one place.

Seeing 19th century cards and items I've never seen before, and would otherwise never be able to see.

Adding one item to my female-players collection.

In the end, though, what really made it great may have been one table I wandered up to, right in the very last row across from the autograph pavilion. There was a table for the AAGPBL (Girls League from the 40's). It had some items related to the movie - posters , etc. But mostly it had Dolly Niemiec behind the table.

She played in the league in the late 40's, and for the Grand Rapids Chicks no less. (Chicks. Sheesh. lol). She had a bat signed by three players that the person in front of me bought for $65. Dolly told her to bring it to any upcoming shows and she could probably get it signed by other players.

She had pre-autographed photos, but I waited a few minutes to get one personalized. Mostly I waited to say hi. What a wonderful woman. She and her husband go around to all the shows and set up near the auto pavilion. She was so pleased to chat a minute, and that I had waited for her picture and auto. It seemed like she really enjoys the shows and talking to people about what is really a unique experience - or at least a very rare experience - to have played in that league.

I figure she must be in her late 70's or so. I hope I look nearly as good and am half as sharp when I'm 80!

So I really liked everything, but that has kind of stayed in my mind and wasn't something I even expected to see there.

J