View Single Post
Old 04-21-2023, 03:07 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Hi Jonathan well being one of those serious pin collectors I knew about these sets but never had that much intrest in collecting them. My collection starts from about 1970 and down and I know many of us dont collect much above that date. While I do find these pins attractive my feeling is they wont bear out to be that significant in the pin collecting world. As you seem to say yourself they almost couldnt give them away.... But maybe one day these pins will find a right place in the collecting world... Everyone collects what they like and like you say they are attractive as well as intresting.. Enjoy them in your collection..
For Many of the reasons you name along with the very limited traffic on Topps.com in 2014 these were a difficult sale for Topps. On the Card side of this board despite being made up of pre-war collecting. Most have heard the story of 1952 Topps being dumped in the East River.
So is there a place for a Set of Pins issued in the Modern era? Not surprisingly there is some interest from those who focus on single players or No- hit Pitchers etc. But for the old school guys who walked the Earth with Checklist book in hand looking to complete their sets there is less. But this set clicks some key boxes for collectors.
1- Issued by Topps
2- decent number of star players
3- Very limited release.

It also misses in a few key areas

1- Not a Card
2- not every team
3- They did not include a number of Star players and Rookies.
So here we are coming up on a decade after release. With very limited sales in the secondary market. As I mentioned before I hoped to find a few like minded collectors that grabed these in 2014 and still hold them. But my guess is on a modern memorabilia board I might have more success.
Since Scott mentioned The Verlander and The Tigers are one of the nicer sets ...
J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230421_170348.jpg (217.2 KB, 678 views)