View Single Post
Old 11-16-2021, 02:28 AM
+j +R@!|
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Around when the pandemic started in 2020, SGC lost the script on a lot of things - particularly centering - which may have been related to the hiring of new graders. (?) I got a couple of '72 cards in 5's and 5.5's where the grade was clearly tied only to centering - they were NM or better cards otherwise - and it's like nobody taught the graders the difference between 85/15 and 65/35. The latter does not deserve a downgrade to EX range or lower if otherwise a pack fresh card. Yes, all graders make mistakes but realistically we are talking hundreds or thousands of dollars difference in some cases with the more pricey cards. It's expected, but also extremely frustrating. I'm not sure if SGC has resolved that particular tendency around centering yet or not. I've been loathe to send them any more cards since they later returned me Mantles in slabs with plastic shards sticking into the edges of the card.
I've noticed this as well. Even PSA has abandoned their published centering standards since the pandemic began. Both have moved the goalposts on us.